Thursday, August 20, 2009

Census Smensus

So, news on the homefront?

Well, tonight I learned about indexing! I am a huge history buff, and love to learn as much about people of the past as I can. Which is probably why I am so much into the paranormal. I often times wonder what a person went through to become a ghost, and often times, it was when they were hit by tuberculosis and were left to die in a santarium, or they went off to war but never returned, or they were in the wrong place at the wrong time... but none the less, in the words of Ghost Hunters, "Ghosts were people too."

So, tonight I listened as my friend Leslie gave a demonstration of how to index. After paying half attention to her demo while the other half texting another girl in the room, posting on facebook, checking my emails and chatting with a friend (sorry Leslie :( ) I decided to try this out. Why not, I mean, we have a ward goal of indexing 5,000 names by the end of the year, with a STAKE goal of 50,000 names! I do data entry at work, and this would allow me to look at "Historical Documents".

So, tonight at home, I tucked the girls into bed, gave chris a kiss goodnight, and began to google search the site, because while I wasn't paying attention, she mentioned the site to go to... see, it pays to listen! I saw several googles, but one site stuck out... Family search indexing... something something... LDS. So, I clicked on it to check it out and recognized the family tree in the upper right hand corner. So, I went and enrolled.

I got my first document and worked on it. Since I am a fast typer and really fast at Data entry, I finished the first page up in no time... but also paying attention to the person, their spouses and their children, seeing if anything rang a bell. Nothing did, but I did find several young wives who were about my age with 15 and 16 year old children, whose husbands were in their 40's... can we say, GROSS!

So, I finished 101 names and then decided to set my quota. Since my ward has chosen a goal of 5,000 names, I have decided to make that my personal goal! By the end of this year, I will index 5,000 names... and I am determined to do it! After I entered in the information, it said that to obtain this goal, I would have to complete 37 names a day... I can WAY DO THAT. If I did 101 in less than 30 minutes, I can do way more! So, I am thinking, if I do the WARD goal of 5,000 by the end of this year, I will make the STAKE goal of 50,000 by the end of the year! I don't know if I can do that goal, but I will first work on the ward goal, and go from there!

So, you are asking yourself, "What is indexing?" or, if your self centered you are asking yourself, "I can beat her at whatever this indexing is!" Well, indexing is helping volunteer to transfer the Census handwritten copies (Like the ones on Ellis Island) and converting them to typed ledgers. The system is so easy to manuever and its all about entering in what you see, and tabbing... very simple... but so rewarding.

You can help the government transfer these records and view pieces of history while doing it... think, "What would Nick Cage be doing with this in National Treasure?" Well, he would be sitting at his laptop, entering in the information while trying to see if there is a secred code mixed up in the form... Psha!

Well, Thats about it, however, I am super excited, because my dear friend whom I haven't seen in years, is flying into San Fran for just one day next week, and I am going to see her! I miss her so much, and she hasn't met Gracie yet! Julie (Who is Juju to her Auntie Christa), is super excited to see Auntie Christa again. My dear friend is up for a role in an indy film being filmed over sea's in India. This is a HUGE opportunity for her, and on Wednesday she is meeting with the production team. I have offered her our place to crash at, so she won't have to stay with the producers that she doesnt' know. She is bringing her hubby, whom I haven't met, so it will be a great time to visit with her... and pray that she gets the role! It would be her foot in the door... and of course, me to get to go to a premiere or, GULP, the red carpets! :)

So, thats about it for now... its 11:31pm, and I am just tired!

Night all, and have a blessed day.

Love and Blessings,

1 comment: